Monday, December 6, 2010

A Military Town

 

I was raised in Fort Walton Beach, Florida and is a place that I love. It is a very interesting community…it is a tourist town (just a couple miles from Destin) but it is also a town surrounded by military bases. We have two major military bases on either side and some smaller bases there too.

Neither of my parents are/were in the military but a good number of my friends parents or family were. So I never experienced a TDY for myself but I have watched many a people go through the separation for many months. The cool thing about having the bases is that it brings a lot of new and diverse people to the area for months and years at a time…but the uncool thing is that it often takes them away.

Within the last week I have been informed of two families that will be moving within the next 6 months- 1 year due to new military placements. It greatly saddens me…most of these people seem to be previous teachers of mine. I am sort of weird and growing up I could always easily carry on conversations with adults and thus in high school I became pretty close with a number of my teachers and as they got married and started families I loved babysitting for them. Well since 9th grade we have had to say goodbye to about 5 wonderful teachers and their families.

These moves are always understood because it often means that they will get to spend more time together as a couple or as a family but sad for all of us that have to tell them bye and also sad for the school because I know they have all been great teachers.

It is something that comes with the territory and we greatly appreciate these families and the continual sacrifices that they make in order to protect us. So for now…to the Heck Family (click to check out their blog!) and the Outlaw family…I am sad to see you go but I know your new homes will be so blessed to have you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment