Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thirteen Days

So I have said before that I am a history major…I Love history. I love learning about military history, cultures, decisions…and I guess people in general. It intrigues me to imagine why people do the things they do, why do country’s react the way they react. And this list could go on…

I will be the first to say that often historical movies are inaccurate but there is one movie that I love and that would be 13 days. thirteen_days

This movie chronicles the 13 days where the United States and the USSR were quite possibly at the brink of a nuclear war. The USSR was sending missiles to be stored in Cuba (which is very close to the U.S.) and we setup a blockade to prevent the ships from entering Cuba. The ships of the two countries were literally nose to nose in the open sea.  With much deliberation and thought President Kennedy was able to fend off war and settle the dispute peacefully. There was a lot more into it than this simplicity.

I think what I like so much about the movie is well the intensity and the inside look at what this process looked like but also the workings of the Kennedy brothers…we didn’t have much time to see them and their work but this is something that really was a remarkable event and time period. 13days1

Kevin Costner is the big name actor we see here but all of the acting is really great. I am not a movie critic in any sort but if you enjoy suspense and/or history then you would love this movie. I truly recommend watching it to see what it might “possibly” be like for a president and his cabinet during such times. Of course Hollywood is Hollywood and they will doctor things up for their liking but I do think this is a great movie and have watched it maybe 10 times. (It is always on TV)

 

Lynnlee

 

No comments:

Post a Comment