Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vuvuzelas and Fanaticism=World Cup!

You have to be living under a rock if you have no idea what is going on right now in the world (no, not the oil...) it is the WORLD CUP! Even if you do not watch soccer or care that it is happening, one must at least know that it is indeed happening. The world cup is being held in South Africa this summer. I played soccer competitively for most of my life and I still love the sport. This is an event where people travel from all around the world to meet every four years to fight for the golden soccer or "futbol" trophy.


I obviously am all for TEAM USA (their picture is seen below) but I also love watching all of the teams play. I love the upsets (unless it's someone upsetting the USA) and I love the camaraderie of the whole event, the stories behind the countries and all the players. Don't get me wrong...I love the more "American" sports like uhh...FOOTBALL (which, by the way, I just bought my student tickets this week to support the Crimson Tide) but I also love the world's version of futbol and I love the excitement it brings. I LOVE watching players reactions when they score or do something just as awesome...the facial expressions and emotion get me every time!



The next picture is Clint Dempsey, he plays for the USA and is currently the only USA player to score a goal in the cup. He has a great and inspiring story which is what I love most about sport. I love hearing how a sport changed someones life and made them who they are today. I am a nostalgic sap so of course I eat up all of espn's sappy stories. You should check his out...it gives a great meaning to every goal he scores and who he scores it for.



Here is his story



Last but not least...the Vuvuzela. If you have watched any game of the world cup or any professional soccer team you have heard that insane buzzing noise. It sounds like the stadium is getting attacked by locusts...nope just a plastic horn that thousands of people play for the entire game. It's humorous to me...some call them annoying or loud but hey it adds character to the sport. (there is a pic below)

No comments:

Post a Comment