Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Teaching Experience

I have literally been around the education system all of my life - yes i did attend school all of my life- but more than that. I come from a family of educators and if you do not believe me i can practically name on two hands the members of my immediate/distant family who have NOT at on point or another worked in the schools some way or how.

Well, so i naturally am going to school to be a teacher...shocker i know. I would like to teach secondary history! I was in no way pressured by family to pursue this profession but instead they didn't need to convince me, i was sure of it myself. I was able to witness through all of them the joys and even pitfalls of teaching but more than anything it seemed in every situation that the joys outweighed anything bad. I had incredible teachers in high school that inspired me not only to have a passion and desire to learn but also showed me exactly what type of teacher i would like to be one day be.

I am technically in my junior year of college thanks to the lovely IB program in high school and thus i am starting to have to do "real" teacher stuff! This semester i have to collect twenty hours tutoring/helping at a middle school along with 34 hours at a high school where i will be observing/helping/and teaching in a US History class...thats correct i said TEACHING along with video taping that teaching so I can THEN watch myself and critique it. Doesnt that sound like a ball of fun? I am very excited to learn, observe, and help but sooo nervous to make lesson plans and teach. They gradually throw you into it with only a little actual teaching this semester and more next semester to where this time next year i will be on my OWN student teaching...WHAT? next year...i cannot believe that!


But anyway...Tuscaloosa County High school and Ms. Douglas' class, Here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment